Re: cc'ing (was Re: Mozilla goes GTK+ instead of Qt)

Quoting Steve Lamb (morpheus@teleute.ml.org):
> On Sun, 1 Nov 1998 19:05:24 -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> >Not something I've ever missed -- IMAP is pretty useless IMHO.
>
>     And you're talking about my negativity?  IMAP is useful when:

Annoying, isn't it. :)

> 1: You access mail regularly from more than one location.
>
>     For me this happens 5 times a week.  I get my work mail at work, my home
> mail at home and check both from both places.  For me to do that, currently,
> I have to archive up all my mail and accounts, throw them on a ZIP disk, and
> move them with me.  With IMAP I set up the MUA on both ends with the same
> information and they, and the server, take care of the rest.

Well, shoot, I regularly access mail from four or five accounts from
half a dozen main and countless secondary locations. I don't use IMAP
either: what I do is telnet (or whatever) into the various locations and
read the mail there using mutt. Works like a charm from just about
anywhere, and doesn't require the installation of any client software.
(This is why I love CLI's and hate GUI's: try this trick with
Outlook...)

> 2: You are on a slow link and regularly get large attachments.
>
>     IMAP allows you to retrieve only one portion of the message or another.
> You *CAN* get the header and then just the body before getting any
> attachments.  Saves when you don't have to download that 2-3Mb attachment to
> find out that you don't want it.

You get that same benefit with mutt over telnet...

Mike Stone