Re: cc'ing (was Re: Mozilla goes GTK+ instead of Qt)

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998 19:05:24 -0500, Michael Stone wrote:

>>     I'll have to see.  For some reason I doubt it.

>Well, that's a positive attitude. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed
>this morning?

    No, a few discussions with the author a while back soured me to his
capabilities.

>what advantage I'd gain by stuffing a lisp machine into my MUA.

    There isn't.  ;)

>> >Ask the mutt developers for IMAP support, they already have POP in there.

>>     IMAP support is already there as well.  It is lousy IMAP support.

>Not something I've ever missed -- IMAP is pretty useless IMHO.

    And you're talking about my negativity?  IMAP is useful when:

1: You access mail regularly from more than one location.

    For me this happens 5 times a week.  I get my work mail at work, my home
mail at home and check both from both places.  For me to do that, currently,
I have to archive up all my mail and accounts, throw them on a ZIP disk, and
move them with me.  With IMAP I set up the MUA on both ends with the same
information and they, and the server, take care of the rest.

2: You are on a slow link and regularly get large attachments.

    IMAP allows you to retrieve only one portion of the message or another.
You *CAN* get the header and then just the body before getting any
attachments.  Saves when you don't have to download that 2-3Mb attachment to
find out that you don't want it.

    #1 is the biggie, but #2 is a very nice fringe benefit.