Re: Program to find files which are not part of packages.

Gordon Russell <gor@dcs.napier.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 11:37:26AM +0100, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >     doesn't the "cruft" package do exactly the same thing?
> > It's about 3 month I use it to clean my system...
> > Ciao,
> > Federico
> Hmmm. Well not exactly the same, but pretty much. It would be nice if it
> took a parameter to specify the directory tree to scan... and if it did
> thinks in memory instead of on disk, and it didn't filter out things which
> are actually quite important...

You can setup small scripts or programms that actually do the
checking. Have a look at the cruft docs. You can tell cruft that
everything in /mnt/afs/ should be ignored or that /home should be
scanned also.

> But the question remains - given that I have 1000 files not listed as
> belonging to a package in /usr alone, why hasn't anyone tried to get
> this situation fixed.

If you find out what Package created them, file a bug. A very good way
to find out is probably to make /usr read-only (as it should be anyway).
Any changes to a file in /usr will then fail. Of cause that would not
stop files getting installed via dpkg without registering themself.

You could also setup libtricks to watch the installation process and
scream when a unregistered file gets installed.

May the Source be with you.

PS: The more I know about libtricks, the more often I want to use it. :)