Re: xdm package

On Sat, Oct 24, 1998 at 07:15:10PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> >> I am currently working on the kdebase package which includes the kdm (KDE
> >> version of xdm).  Should I create a kdm package that does what the xdm package
> >> does?  Or should I just force users who want the kdm functionality to install
> >> xdm as well as kdebase?
> >
> >FWIW, kdm and login.app do NOT do what xdm does.  The current xdm package
> >has a mechanism for disabling itself locally, but it's not compatible with
> >other packages which provide their own local equivalent of xdm.
>
> How does xdm differ from kdm in functional terms?  They both provide an X login
> prompt and then run an appropriate window manager...

Really?  You are missing a MAJOR point and don't realize it.  With an X
server on one machine, I can start X clients on another.  How do I login to
another machine to start X clients such as a window manager?  I use xdm!
There is no support in either login.app or kdm for remote servers.

> The xdm package has a lot of stuff that is useful to KDE users (config files)
> as well as the xdm program they probably won't want to use.  Also there doesn't
> seem to be a good way of disabling xdm when the package is installed.

Disable xdm locally, fine.  But don't disable xdm all together just because
you can't seem the think why anyone would want to use a remote server.

> >You should coordinate such an effort to change that with Branden.  BTW, I
>
> OK.  I've CC'd this message to him.  Hopefully he can explain to me what the
> plans are for these things.

I hope so, I know why xdm is useful even when you're using a replacement for
it locally, but I have no idea how to set it up properly.  =>

> >thought Stephan Kulow did did the KDE stuff...?
>
> Coolo is doing other things at the moment.  I've got KDE CVS access and I've
> just been fixing bugs as I find them.  I am currently arranging a suitable FTP
> server for KDE Debian packages which I hope to have working this week.

Good luck.  I haven't had a chance to start my email campaign yet to get the
permission/license/whatever-lawyers-call-it Debian has decided it needs in
order to distribute KDE stuff yet, but hopefully after slink becomes REALLY
frozen and we have a functional X again I'll be able to sit back and take a
6 hour rest, maybe quake a bit, etc...  THEN I can start on emailling people
and stuff.

I think Matthias and I when we were discussing it found a total of 7
packages, with Timidity being the one that's likely to be the most difficult
because there's just so many people involved who have copyright over parts
of it.  Ugh.

> PS  Can I use the Debian bug tracking system for KDE packages stored on my FTP
> server?

No more than I can for lynx-ssl.  =<  The law sucks in general---IP law that
makes licenses necessary, crypto law that makes me unable to officially work
on lynx-ssl, gpg, etc...  Abolish the gov't, anarchy rules, all that
wonderful stuff.  (It's 5am here and I haven't slept yet...)

--
Show me the code or get out of my way.