Re: xdm package

>> >FWIW, kdm and login.app do NOT do what xdm does.  The current xdm package
>> >has a mechanism for disabling itself locally, but it's not compatible with
>> >other packages which provide their own local equivalent of xdm.
>>
>> How does xdm differ from kdm in functional terms?  They both provide an X login
>> prompt and then run an appropriate window manager...
>
>Really?  You are missing a MAJOR point and don't realize it.  With an X
>server on one machine, I can start X clients on another.  How do I login to
>another machine to start X clients such as a window manager?  I use xdm!
>There is no support in either login.app or kdm for remote servers.

Currently I have 3 machines in front of my.  This laptop that I'm typing on is
using KDM to offer a local login to the laptop.  My main Linux
file/web/ftp/email/whatever server is also running as an application server
(NB it has no monitor or keyboard).  It runs kdm and then my third machine
(running either OS/2 or NFS-root Linux) will start up an X server and do a
--query to it.
So with these three machines I have a machine that's got the full client and
server X stuff, I've got the X terminal, and I've got the X client /
application server.
I am running KDM on my laptop and on my application server.  I am not running
XDM anywhere and I believe that I am using every feature that it would offer me
(but with the nice KDM look).

I don't know what login.app is or does.  Please explain the relevance of this
part.

>> The xdm package has a lot of stuff that is useful to KDE users (config files)
>> as well as the xdm program they probably won't want to use.  Also there doesn't
>> seem to be a good way of disabling xdm when the package is installed.
>
>Disable xdm locally, fine.  But don't disable xdm all together just because
>you can't seem the think why anyone would want to use a remote server.

I believe that what I'm doing on the machine that's dual-boot between OS/2 and
NFS-rot Linux is what would be considered a "remote server".

>> >thought Stephan Kulow did did the KDE stuff...?
>>
>> Coolo is doing other things at the moment.  I've got KDE CVS access and I've
>> just been fixing bugs as I find them.  I am currently arranging a suitable FTP
>> server for KDE Debian packages which I hope to have working this week.
>
>Good luck.  I haven't had a chance to start my email campaign yet to get the
>permission/license/whatever-lawyers-call-it Debian has decided it needs in
>order to distribute KDE stuff yet, but hopefully after slink becomes REALLY
>frozen and we have a functional X again I'll be able to sit back and take a
>6 hour rest, maybe quake a bit, etc...  THEN I can start on emailling people
>and stuff.

Great.  I look forward to having these things sorted out.  Until then I'll
happily work on KDE Debian packages anyway.  This IMHO is what free software is
really about, not the low cost (I could afford to buy all the MS software if I
wanted it and all the hardware required to run it too).  Free software is about
my freedom to develop KDE code in Debian packages even though many people
disapprove.  NB I'm not trying to flame the people on the other side of the
debate here - no-one has tried to stop me, it's just that my work won't appear
on ftp.debian.org.

>I think Matthias and I when we were discussing it found a total of 7
>packages, with Timidity being the one that's likely to be the most difficult
>because there's just so many people involved who have copyright over parts
>of it.  Ugh.

Well I never plan to work on that anyway.  I am only really interested in the
KDE developed applications for which the license situation is quite clear IMHO.

>> PS  Can I use the Debian bug tracking system for KDE packages stored on my FTP
>> server?
>
>No more than I can for lynx-ssl.  =<  The law sucks in general---IP law that
>makes licenses necessary, crypto law that makes me unable to officially work
>on lynx-ssl, gpg, etc...  Abolish the gov't, anarchy rules, all that
>wonderful stuff.  (It's 5am here and I haven't slept yet...)

SSL is an issue of criminal law and does suck.  However KDE packages is an
issue of Debian policy and therefore they could make the policy allow use of
the bug tracking system.  Currently the BTS tracks bugs for non-free packages
without any special regard for their status.  KDE is just another category of
Debian package.

--
I'll be in Denver from 30 Oct 1998 to 7 Nov 1998 (or maybe a few days longer).
I'll be in London from ~9 Nov 1998.  I'd like to meet any Linux users or