Re: Auto-removal of libraries?

On Thu, Oct 22, 1998 at 08:39:00PM +0300, Esa Turtiainen wrote:
> A friend of mine had a good suggestion: why unused libraries are
> not removed automatically.  Sounds good for me.  It should be
> possible to mark a package as a library - I am intalling this only
> as a library and I am not interested in this package per se.
> If no other package needs that, APT is free to remove it.  It makes
> sense that everything that is 'recommended' or 'suggested' is
> marked as a library but the user is free to change it to normal
> installed status.

I'd love this. It takes an awful lot of time to check by hand everytime you
deinstall something. As for Dirk's problem with locally compiled binaries I
see no problem. You're free to set the status from library to installed by
hand.

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes      | Th.-Heuss-Str. 61, D-41812 Erkelenz | Go SF49ers!
Senior-Consultant       | business: Michael.Meskes@mummert.de | Go Rhein Fire!