new xbase semi-broke X keymap

I installed the new xbase and accompanying stuff (xlibs etc), and a
lot of things broke. I managed to fix most of them, but one thing has
me stymied: my X keymapping is still broken. In particular, the right
Alt key no longer seems to work as mod1, resulting in my being unable
to access a lot of common chars on my (Finnish 102-key) keyboard. Any
info on what has changed in the keymapping code, and whether this is a
bug or something that I should configure differently into the new X
setup?

Here's the dpkg list of the possibly relevant X stuff I have
installed:

pi  xaw3dg          1.3-6.3        Adds a cute 3d to X apps using the athena wi
ii  xbase           3.3.2.3a-4     X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure
ii  xbase-clients   3.3.2.3a-4     basic X clients
ii  xcontrib        3.3.2-3        XFree contributed clients.
ii  xdm             3.3.2.3a-4     X display manager
ii  xf86setup       3.3.2.3a-4     X server configuration tools
ii  xfnt100         3.3.2.3a-1     100 dpi fonts for X servers
ii  xfnt75          3.3.2.3a-1     75 dpi fonts for X servers
ii  xfntbase        3.3.2.3a-1     standard fonts for X servers
ii  xfntbig         3.3.2.3a-1     Chinese, Japanese, and Korean fonts for X se
ii  xfntscl         3.3.2.3a-1     scalable fonts for X servers
ii  xkeycaps        2.43-1         Manipulate X keymaps (for xmodmap) graphical
ii  xlib6           3.3.2.3a-4     shared libraries required by libc5 X clients
ii  xlib6g          3.3.2.3a-4     shared libraries required by X clients
ii  xlib6g-dev      3.3.2.3a-4     include files and libraries for X client dev
ii  xmanpages       3.3.2.3a-4     manual pages for X developers
ii  xmodmap         3.3.2.3a-4     utility for modifying X keymaps and pointer
ii  xserver-common  3.3.2.3a-4     files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-svga    3.3.2.3a-4     X server for SVGA graphics cards
ii  xsm             3.3.2.3a-4     X session manager
ii  xterm           3.3.2.3a-4     X terminal emulator

//Petri