Re: ftp1.us.debian.org and FTP mirrors

*- Avery Pennarun wrote about "Re: ftp1.us.debian.org and FTP mirrors"
| On Thu, Oct 22, 1998 at 10:07:52PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
| > On Thu, Oct 22, 1998 at 01:31:58PM +0200, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
| > > What about having postinst scan your fqdn and uncomment the right
| > > entry in the conffile? (And having all the other sites present
| > > and commented).
| >
| > Sounds nice to me. However, being in the same country is not necessarily
| > good enough; ftp.au.debian.org is absolutely shocking from here
| > (> 3 second pings), but apparently just fine if you're in the same city
| > or on the other backbone or something. I would be better off using
| > ftp.de.debian.org for example. On the other hand, mirror.aarnet.edu.au
| > is just great (< 120ms).
| Look at my netselect package, which chooses the "fastest" server from an
| arbitrary set of supplied names.  I designed it exactly for this.  Version
| 0.2 actually works.  It merely needs to be integrated into APT somehow...

Without looking at the package and how it works I want to make a few
comments.  I think this whole idea of choosing a mirror that is close
and fast is a great idea.  However the code must take into account that
a majority of people may not have dedicated net connections, real dns
host names or even be connected when they install.  One approach would
be to use the timezone information to pick an appropriate mirror. Of
course the timezone of the mirror would have to be stored in the mirror
info.  Wasn't Jason working on a new Package file format for the mirror
list.  Hopefully a Timezone field will be included in there.

							   - unknown