Re: ftp1.us.debian.org and FTP mirrors

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> *- Avery Pennarun wrote about "Re: ftp1.us.debian.org and FTP mirrors"

> | > Sounds nice to me. However, being in the same country is not necessarily
> | > good enough; ftp.au.debian.org is absolutely shocking from here
> | > (> 3 second pings), but apparently just fine if you're in the same city
> | > or on the other backbone or something. I would be better off using
> | > ftp.de.debian.org for example. On the other hand, mirror.aarnet.edu.au
> | > is just great (< 120ms).
> |
> | Look at my netselect package, which chooses the "fastest" server from an
> | arbitrary set of supplied names.  I designed it exactly for this.  Version
> | 0.2 actually works.  It merely needs to be integrated into APT somehow...
> |

> Without looking at the package and how it works I want to make a few
> comments.  I think this whole idea of choosing a mirror that is close
> and fast is a great idea.  However the code must take into account that
> a majority of people may not have dedicated net connections, real dns
> host names or even be connected when they install.  One approach would
> be to use the timezone information to pick an appropriate mirror. Of
> course the timezone of the mirror would have to be stored in the mirror
> info.  Wasn't Jason working on a new Package file format for the mirror
> list.  Hopefully a Timezone field will be included in there.

Maybe you should look at the package :-)  It's much more sophisticated
that than, working on ping times, and ping throughput percentages.

Timezone information is a pretty hopeless heuristic, really.  It's far
better to simply defer the run of netselect until the user is on the net.
I.e., a message says 'when you next dial up, run apt-configure and tell it
to use netselect'.

Jules