Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

In article <[🔎] 362E90EC.B1850C7E@dsp.net>, Chris Waters <xtifr@dsp.net> writes:
> If I seem to be arguing both sides of this debate, well, perhaps I
> am.  I think that it's a good idea in the abstract, but I also feel
> that a technically flawed or overly limited solution is worse than
> no solution at all.  -- Chris Waters xtifr@dsp.net | I have a truly
> elegant proof of the or cwaters@systems.DHL.COM | above, but it is
> too long to fit into http://www.dsp.net/xtifr | this .signature
> file.

Documentation is a logical group with its own needs and demands.
Elegant management of documentation means addressing it as a group.
Not searching for some mythical "general solution" for dealing with
local sysadmin inclinations.

You might take a look at my metadata proposal
<URL:http://va.debian.org/~aph/debian-metadata.html/>.  I haven't
touched it since mid-July but I am planning on implementing it by year
end and having a viable, system-wide documentation metadata solution
which allows for (among many other things) such sysadmin policies and,
eventually, automatic document conversion (which see the above URL,
section 2).