Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

Hi,

 Chris> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> I agree with you there. dpkg, or any other program, should not
 >> second guess the human this way.

 Chris> Excuse me?  Couldn't dpkg's *entire* job be described as second guessing
 Chris> the human?

	Hell, no. dpkg does exactly what I tell it to do -- you must
 have a strange relationship with your package manager. I tell dpkg
 what packages to hold, to upgrade, etc. I know which files are likely
 to be affected (they are in /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list

 Chris> The tricky part is and always has been getting it right:
 Chris> obvious things like, "you don't want to install that without the
 Chris> libraries it requires," are easy, but it's still second
 Chris> guessing.

	I think you don not know the meaning of the phrase second
 guession, or you should really take charge of your machine.

 Chris> In the case of compressed vs. uncompressed files, dpkg is already
 Chris> capable of this.  Just move the files in question to a separate package,
 Chris> provide two versions of the package, with and without compression, and
 Chris> voila!

	So you want to double the number of packages there are, and
 set up packages which are duplicates except for the doc files? What a
 waste of archive space. I object.

	The object of this discussion was to make sure that the
 uncompressed doc files are updated on an upgrade, and I can do that
 with a <20 lines shell script.

	This does not belong in the package management system A
 simple, 18 line script does that for the doc and info dirsm and can
 be run out of cron.

	manoj
--
 It is by the fortune of God that, in this country, we have three
 benefits: freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom never