Re: problems with latest x version in incoming

In article <[🔎] 19981019215144.B21961@kitenet.net>, Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
> Adam P. Harris wrote:
>> It doesn't.  But the Packaging Manual *does* have something to say
>> about setuid files:
>>
>> 3.4.1. Restrictions on objects in source packages
>>
>> The source package may not contain any hard links[1][2], device
>> special files, sockets or setuid or setgid files.[3]

> That's the source package. It's not relevant, we were talking about
> binary packages.

Doh!

Hmmm.  I wonder if putting setuid in the .deb itself (rather than
chmoding in the postinst) defeats the purpose of suidregister?
Maybe I've been wrong?

Why does /usr/doc/suidmanager/README.Debian say:

---
 Examples on how `debmake' and `debhelper' handle `suidregister' and
 `suidunregister':

if [ -x /usr/sbin/suidregister ]; then
        suidregister -s #PACKAGE# /#FILE# #OWNER# #GROUP# #PERMS#
else
        chown #OWNER#.#GROUP# /#FILE#
        chmod #PERMS# /#FILE#
fi
---

Does debhelper really do it this way?  I guess not?