Re: problems with latest x version in incoming

In article <[🔎] 19981019200610.Z21961@kitenet.net>, Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
> I don't understand why the docs say to put in the chmod too. I
> guess so long as you have the chmod in there, it doesn't matter if
> you make the .deb file actually have the suid bit set in it or not -
> I tend to go ahead and put the suid bit in the deb file because then
> lintian can check on it, and because it's clearer if someone looks
> at the .deb that it does contain suid componentd.

>> If this is wrong, we need some policy about it.  I couldn't find
>> any in the latest version of the policy manual.

> suidmanager is just an add on package, why should policy have
> anything to say about it?

It doesn't.  But the Packaging Manual *does* have something to say
about setuid files:

3.4.1. Restrictions on objects in source packages

     The source package may not contain any hard links[1][2], device
     special files, sockets or setuid or setgid files.[3]