Re: problems with latest x version in incoming

Branden Robinson wrote:
> > 3) The server no longer is setud root.  Thus it refuses to come up at all.
> > 4) startx only comes up under root (some authority problem).
>
> I'm now using suidregister to make /usr/bin/X11/X (which is Debian's X
> server wrapper) setuid root -- it ships with plain old mode 755.
> xserver-common (which contains the wrapper) was one of the files with the
> "getreal" problem, so the script bombed out before suidregister was called.
> With the fixing of 2) above this should no longer be a problem.

Sorry, that's not how suidregister is intended to work. Suidregister is not
a base package, it is not guarenteed to be installed. What you're supposed
to do is ship the .deb with the file(s) having the permission you intend
them to have. (In this case, they should be suid). In the postinst, call
suidregister if it's installed. Then when suidregister runs, it will set the
permissions to what the admin specifies in /etc/suid.conf.

--
see shy jo