Re: huge lists

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:32:17 +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:

>Their ISP usually.

    Then they should change.  It is that simple.

>The original post did use the work "unmanagable" but also spent quite
>some time talking about how long they too long to download, even in
>digest form.

    Aaaand?  That could be a marker of "Look how large it is!  Large things
are hard to read through, sift through, and are unmanagable."  It isn't a 1:1
corrilation to costly.

>No, the people who run the lists will have to deal with it, or face
>the fact that proportionally less and less users will ever read
>debian-user, simply because of the multi-megabyte downloads.

>Since debian-user is the main support mechanism for Debian, it is
>essentially telling users: you want support? you pay for it by
>downloading all this stuff.  There are better ways to present the
>lists.

    But debian-user is not the ONLY support pechanism for Debian.  And the
list mantainers can hardly slow or stop the tide of new people posting.  It
is not something they can do.  For you to even suggest it is something they
can is unreasonable on your part.

>Another suggestion I have is to get sites such as reference.com or
>dejanews.com to index the mailing lists.  This has some drawbacks,
>but would provide users with the list in searchable format with little
>maintenance on Debian's part.

    What's stopping them from doing that now?  Here is what I got from
Dejanews with a search of "huge lists" in forums of "*debian*".

   1. 98/10/21 031 huge lists                   linux.debian.devel    Lalo
Martins
   2. 98/10/21 031 Re: huge lists               linux.debian.devel    Steve
Lamb
   3. 98/10/21 031 Re: huge lists               linux.debian.devel    Lalo
Martins
   4. 98/10/21 031 Re: huge lists               linux.debian.devel    Steve
Lamb
   5. 98/10/21 031 Re: huge lists               linux.debian.devel    Tyson
Dowd
   6. 98/10/21 031 Re: huge lists               linux.debian.devel    Steve
Lamb
   7. 98/10/21 031 Re: huge lists               linux.debian.devel    Steve
Lamb
   8. 98/10/21 031 Re: huge lists               linux.debian.devel    Jules
Bean
   9. 98/10/21 031 Re: huge lists               linux.debian.devel    Tyson
Dowd
  10. 98/10/21 031 Re: huge lists               linux.debian.devel    Matus
fantomas

    You *DID* realize that the mailing lists, the main ones at least, are put
through a gateway into the newsgroups?  The gateway isn't two ways, however.
So one could juse use their newsreader to read from there as well.  Or they
can use dejanews, just as I have, to search the archives.