Re: huge lists

> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:27:30 +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:
>
> >Every single time this comes up, people who don't pay for internet
> >access by the minute or the megabyte pop up and try to be helpful
> >with "solutions" such as .procmail scripts or mail scoring.
>
>     Well, pardon me for this one assumption but...  If a person is paying per
> minute/per megabyte I then assume one isn't connected 24/7 and isn't getting
> mail sent directly to their machine.  So...  What is stopping them from using
> those helpful procmail filters on the SERVER side to reduce the load a bit?

First of all, I'm sitting on a Ethernet link, two high-speed hops away
from my mailserver, 5 hops away from a major high-speed backbone in the
NE US.  So I don't have the problem of paying per minute or megabyte
over a slow link.

But I do have the problem that I -can't- use server-side filtering.
Due to the size of my institution, they feel that procmail is too heavy
of a solution to mail filtering to run on the mail machines.  As it is,
intracampus email (that doesn't even leave the mail server!) can
sometimes take an hour to be delivered.

I know some ISP's that are using Macintoshes or NT boxes for their
servers.  Do you have any client-side solutions for them? procmail
won't work, as far as I know.

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our