Re: huge lists

On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 07:32:17PM +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:
> On 21-Oct-1998, Steve Lamb <morpheus@teleute.ml.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:27:30 +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:
> >
> > >Every single time this comes up, people who don't pay for internet
> > >access by the minute or the megabyte pop up and try to be helpful
> > >with "solutions" such as .procmail scripts or mail scoring.
> >
> >     Well, pardon me for this one assumption but...  If a person is paying per
> > minute/per megabyte I then assume one isn't connected 24/7 and isn't getting
> > mail sent directly to their machine.  So...  What is stopping them from using
> > those helpful procmail filters on the SERVER side to reduce the load a bit?
>
> Their ISP usually.
>

> > >Some people do pay per minute and per megabyte, and the cost is
> > >significant.  Consider it significant enough that they cannot
> > >help develop for Debian if the lists continue to grow.
> >
> >     Pardon me, but I didn't read "unmanagable" as "costly."  "Unmanagable",
> > to me, means hard to manage.  IE, hard to read through, skim over and gleen
> > important information from.  That is completely different than the lists
> > costing an arm and a leg to just *GET*.
>
> The original post did use the work "unmanagable" but also spent quite
> some time talking about how long they too long to download, even in
> digest form.

I was on the -user list digest for a while...I stopped because it is too
erradic and unreadable but...

Here is my idea... Why not offer a gzip'd digest?

just looking at my read mailbox files:

410942 Oct 21 08:11 debian-mentors
but gzip -9 and...
86333 Oct 21 08:11 debian-mentors.gz

I also seem to remember a program which expands digests so that they
can be read as if they were normal mailbox files.

The combonation of those would, I think, help people with slow
connections and who want it more managable.

Since digests are only sent out every 30 k of e-mail or so I don't think
it would be too bad.

Of course this doesn't adress increaseing traffic on the lists...
but what can we really do about that? (short of moderating the lists but...
that would make the list practically worthless)

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"