Re: huge lists

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:27:30 +1000, Tyson Dowd wrote:

>Every single time this comes up, people who don't pay for internet
>access by the minute or the megabyte pop up and try to be helpful
>with "solutions" such as .procmail scripts or mail scoring.

    Well, pardon me for this one assumption but...  If a person is paying per
minute/per megabyte I then assume one isn't connected 24/7 and isn't getting
mail sent directly to their machine.  So...  What is stopping them from using
those helpful procmail filters on the SERVER side to reduce the load a bit?

>Some people do pay per minute and per megabyte, and the cost is
>significant.  Consider it significant enough that they cannot
>help develop for Debian if the lists continue to grow.

    Pardon me, but I didn't read "unmanagable" as "costly."  "Unmanagable",
to me, means hard to manage.  IE, hard to read through, skim over and gleen
important information from.  That is completely different than the lists
costing an arm and a leg to just *GET*.

    As for the lists growing, they are growing because Debian is continuing
to grow.  Certainly you're not suggesting we stifle the growth of Debian just
for people who pay to get the lists?  I'll assume (sorry) that you're not
which means that is something people who pay will have to deal with.  It is
something that they face with every list that deals with a growing topic.

    What people *CAN* do, however, is quote properly.  An example (Not
picking solely on you, George)...

--- SNIP ---

> > --
> >

> George Bonser
>
> The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!
>

> --

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!

--- SNIP ---

    But in the end, even with people learning proper quoting, the volume will
continue to rise because the number of participants will rise.

>Filtering at the receiving end is too late.  It is not a solution to
>this problem.

    Again, I point out server side filtering.  Another thing they can do is
employ IMAP and off-line reading that way.  But as for size and cost, unless
you can offer some reasonable suggestions other than those presented (stress
on reasonable) there is no point in crying about people who don't pay who
offer suggestions about "unmanagable" lists when what was meant was "Costly".