Re: wxgtk: Is this free software?

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 07:14:23PM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> > > wxgtk has been uploaded to master, but I'm not sure if it is free
> > > software.  Its license is a strange derivative of the GPL, and it
> > > seems to contradict itself in a number of places.
> >
> > I think we have to class it as non-free.  Perhaps non-free should have a
> > subsection labeled 'incomprehensible'?
>
> Surely the licence is a legal document, if you don't understand it, in this
> case because it does not make sense, you should not accept the rights that it
> gives you. In short we should do a KDE, refuse to distribute is until they
> clean up the licence.

Would it not be at least polite to ask them before burning bridges and
alienating the authors of the package?  I have to wonder why the hell
everyone is in such a hurry to throw software OUT of Debian, just because
the intent of the license could be clearer or something similar.

The world will not end while we wait to hear what the authors want, I
promise it won't.