Re: Need Povray 3.1 Maintainer

On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 10:44:02AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Why not adding the features from 3.0 into 3.1 and sending the upstream
> authors a nice patch?

   Time for one.  Source availability for another- the 3.1 sources aren't
available yet as far as I can tell (maybe they're just well hidden, I saw no
links on the web site, just binaries).  I expect the source any moment now
though.  Portions of the current patch set (the macros) are already in 3.1.
I have no idea why they've never included the PVM patches, the patches have
been available and well publicized for years, always maintained outside the
core development team.  Povray development is about as cathedral as it gets.
Simply applying the debian diffs to the current 3.1 package will result in a
large number of rejects, and take a great deal of time to resolve.  I may
work on it, but I won't work quickly on it, there are people who want the
new 3.1 features now.  There are 3.0 legacy features (aside from the
patches) that we should attempt to preserve anyway.