Re: Bug 26827 again (about secure-su)

On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 09:59:10AM +0100, mummert&partner_meskesm@WestLB.de wrote:

> I checked some more on this bug report and IMO we should simply close it.

I disagree.

> It seems secure-su does exactly what you average Unix su does. It certainly
> does not do all that fancy stuff gnu su does.

Thus the problem..

> So I think people needing
> this stuff should make sure they use gnu su instead. As long as you do
> things you can expect from su you should be able to use secure-su as well.

And how do you propose, do you go about making sure you actually HAVE
gnu-su? And what do you do when you DON'T??

Let me remind you that what's breaking is a ESSENTIAL package!!!

From what I can see there is NO way short of playing tricks with su
itself to see if it works (trouble sum at best) to see what your using,
and your blind assumption that nobody who actually needs gnu-su will use
secure-su is ONLY valid if NOT A SINGLE DEBIAN SYSTEM HAS IT INSTALLED,
because a package marked ESSENTIAL is broken by it..

Zephaniah E, Hull.