Re: Deleting uncompressed Info/Doc files at upgrades

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> Kai Henningsen wrote:

> > >  - If you are using some docs often on a 486, you end up uncompressing them
> > >    because it's too slow otherwise.
> >
> > I'm using a 486. Uncompressing text is "too slow"? Ridiculous.

I disagree, especially if the system is also very busy doing other things.
I also agree that "too slow" is a subjective measurement and it's
ridiculous to expect everyone to agree on it.

> Obviously, I'm not going to win this one...

I don't think that's completely fair either.  If you were to submit a
working tested patch to dpkg to implement a  '--handle-uncompressed-docs'
option then I hope it would get fair consideration.

If, however, by "win" you mean get someone else to implement your
requested feature, you're probably right and you'll have to continue to
remember to recompress your packages before upgrading.

    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu
    Dept. of Physics
    Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042