Re: Bugs with X

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 10:35:57AM -0700, David Welton wrote:
> Is there anyway that you can (easily) build a particular server with
> debugging symbols included?  This is not crucial time wise (ie, it can
> wait untill you are less busy with slink:-), but I'm really not
> interested in the prospect of trying to download the whole bloody
> source package....:-/

I definitely want to build debugging versions of the X libraries, but as
yet I don't know how to do it.  The makefiles for X are byzantine.

Debugging symbols would definitely be useful for X servers as well -- we
could probably help out the upstream guys a great deal if we could track
down some of the problems for them.  But I cower in fear at the thought of
how large those servers would be.  As it is, those packages run 800k to a
megabyte each, and the SVGA server, which most people use, is something
like 1.2 megs.  I don't know yet if it would be worth it to package
xserver-*-dbg officially.  Maybe, if I learn how to make them, I could just
store them at the X Strike Force page.  Debugging X servers is, I am sure,
not for the faint of heart.

But I do want to get debugging versions of the libraries soon.  As soon as
I can figure out how.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |  Never underestimate the power of human
Debian GNU/Linux                    |  stupidity.