Re: Debian 2.[01] -- Only rudimentary support for Laptops?

Hi,

> I have an IBM ThinkPad 380XD.  I have found that 2.0.x kernels just don't
> work properly, my machine will crash or shutdown during boot.  I believe that
> the best thing that can be done to support laptops is to create boot disks
> with 2.1.125 kernels.  2.1.125 works well on my laptop in every way and has
> fixed the problems with RAM disks that older 2.1.x kernels had.

Sorry to jump into discussion... Well, I ABSOLUTELYU agree with Russel.   I
also installed linux on IBM ThinkPad 380XD.  It's my 6-th Debian installation
around and definitly the most embarrasing one.  I DO agree that ThinkPad 380XD
is quite new piece of hardware, and don't want to blame anyone or anything,
but perhaps we may pay closer attention to Laptop instalation problems.

1. Official booting disketes - DOES NOT work (tecra also!)
2. Official kernel 2.0.34 - DOES NOT work (constant reboot)

The only thing that work was loadlin thru Win95 :(

Sasha.