Re: Debian 2.[01] -- Only rudimentary support for Laptops?

On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 12:12:26PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> I have an IBM ThinkPad 380XD.  I have found that 2.0.x kernels just don't
> work properly, my machine will crash or shutdown during boot.  I believe that
> the best thing that can be done to support laptops is to create boot disks
> with 2.1.125 kernels.  2.1.125 works well on my laptop in every way and has
> fixed the problems with RAM disks that older 2.1.x kernels had.

Have you tried with the "tecra" patch?

> Another thing that is needed is support for installing from SLIP or PLIP.  I
> believe that the ThinkPad 600 series has a PCMCIA floppy drive, PCMCIA floppy
> drives apparently do not work with Linux and I don't expect them to be
> supported for a while.  It's possible to boot up from a PCMCIA floppy as the
> contents of the RAM disk are loaded using BIOS calls in real mode.  In
> protected mode the floppy can't be accessed.  To make it reasonably possible
> to install Linux on a machine with PCMCIA floppy and PCMCIA CD-ROM the best
> solution will be to allow installing the base files from SLIP or Zmodem
> (should only take 10-15 minutes at 115200bps).  Once the base files are
> installed it shouldn't be difficult to setup a PCMCIA CD-ROM or Ethernet
> device to install the rest.

Would PPP be enough? I've been thinking about moving PPP to the root disk
(if there's enough space).

About root disk space: I've been thinking about building 1.92 MB rescue
floppies. AFAIK, those should work well with any 1.44MB floppy disk drive
under Linux. Does anyone knows about problems with syslinux and "special
geometry" floppies?

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es