Re: Removing Packages in Slink for Debian 2.1

On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 09:33:22PM -0700, Jim Pick wrote:
> Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:
>
> > Okay, everybody...  It's that time again.  I've gone through the bug logs
> > and made my list of packages to keep/remove should they still have
> > release-critical (i.e. critical, grave, or important) bugs at ship time.
>
> What do you think we should do with the Gnome stuff?
>
> The Gnome 0.30 stuff is still under rather heavy development.  The
> current packages in Slink are pretty much alpha-quality.  Lots of
> things don't work.  It sounds like there will probably be a 1.0
> release coming up in a few months that will be thoroughly tested and
> stable.
>
> I'm not sure if it's a good idea to release them as a part of a
> "stable" distribution, as they really aren't.  There aren't any
> guarantees that the stuff that runs today is going to run tomorrow.

This is right, but please don't remove gnome from slink.

If gnome on CD-Rom the user can play with it and can write bug-reports and/or
pachtes. Change only the description with a first Line like
 '** This is alpha software. It can run but it can destroy the system too **'
and you can move it to extra.

Grisu
--
Michael Bramer - a Debian Certified Linux Developer        http://www.debian.org