Re: New packages that might cause X to lock up?

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> wrote:

> I suppose this is maybe not the best place for this question, but if I
> am to have my packages ready for slink, I need to figure this out
> quickly.  I kind of wonder if the motherboard is wacked... I don't
> need more stress:-(

I don't know about the video card, or what mother board you have. I have
a 'S3 Trio32/Trio64' video card, a ABit PH5 motherboard, and I have the
_EXACT_ same problem... With a little load on the machine, X vanishes,
leaving the static X image left... Usually I can log in from the outside,
and shut it down (or restart X again, but closing that, just returns me
to the static X image...)

I was recomended on linux-kernel to try some VGA programs, to reset the
display, but so far none have helped.

I've also been told (on the same list) that I have a crappy motherboard...

You could try 'restoretextmode' and 'savetextmode' to restore the VGA
display... It didn't help me, but you might be luckier :)

I have an average uptime for about 2 days, then it krashes... This sucks,
but hey! It's better than Windows :)

--
Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just selective about who its friends are
 / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \  Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org>