Re: KDE gone, Linux next ? [binary only support != good support]

---Brian Ristuccia <brianr@osiris.ml.org> wrote:
> Although I recognise how important
> good hardware support is to Linux's success, I don't >consider
binary-only
> support good support at all. I'd hate to be stuck in >Company X's
position.
> I'm sure you'd feel the same way if it was your >business on the
line.
It may not be possible, but I guess Linux needs some sort of standard
for kernel-driver interfaces that would allow an older driver to work
with newer kernels.  To a limited degree, this is true with MS
windows..Drivers supplied with win95 can work with win 98, some '3.1
drivers even work with '95 (with restrictions).  But I see your point,
if Kernel changes make existing drivers broken a binary only driver is
not a good idea.  OTOH due to NDA's a binary only driver might be the
only way some companies COULD distribute a driver for Linux for their
hardware (thank you Mr Gates!).