Re: intent to remove libglide from non-free

On Sun, Oct 11, 1998 at 01:48:43PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> James A. Treacy wrote:
>
> > A number of people would like to see a 3dfx package of mesa. This can
> > not be done unless there is a legal package of glide (under the
> > current license I can't even get the libs since I don't own a 3dfx
> > card).
>
> Any reason, aside from the lack of volunteers, why we can't do what we
> do with netscape/staroffice/etc.?  Even if we can't distribute it, can't
> we have a loader package?  (No, I'm not volunteering, I don't own a 3dfx
> card either.)

Those are precompiled binaries that we don't distribute. Basically the
people who write the libglide licenses are idiots. The license makes some
sense for the library, but for header files it is absurd.

I am not working on mesa-glide packages until this license mess is worked
out. I don't have time to waste on it myself.

Jay Treacy