Re: KDE gone, Lyx next ?

On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 07:59:14PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > It's irrelevant.  Lyx is free code using a license that does not allow us to
> > link it with non-free code.  We can't distribute it if they won't modify
> > their license.  But like KDE, they deserve a chance to do something about
> > it.

Once again. This won't be able to stand in court.

> > Yeah, file the bug report, highest priority level due to the ethical
> > implications. Remove almost 4 years hard work of more than 20 people who offer
> > the (right now) only usable free document processor for unix.

Seems he is frustrated isn't he?

> > Clearly LyX has been written by scratch but we in the LyX team accepted GPL'ed
> > patches without signed written permissions of the authors to distribute
> > binaries linked to XForms. Shame on us, not LyX has licensing problems!

Sorry that one doesn't hold against legal inspections. These authors
submitted patches designed to be included into LyX. After all most patches
don't have a copyright notice at all. They were made to be put into LyX
implicitely accepting LyX copyright. To the best of my knowledge no GPLed code
written for completely different programs was included without asking. Once
again this is a major difference to KDE.

> > I will remove it from my hard disk immediately. Damn, four years hacking for me
> > and a aresult it's no longer usable for Debian....
> >
> > What a great day! Luckily I have an invitation for dinner to celebrate it :-)

Why can't this guy be serious. It's so easy to change the copyright.

> > It's getting harder and harder to take Debian serious.

Sorry, but I've always had problems taking these guys serious. :-)

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes      | Th.-Heuss-Str. 61, D-41812 Erkelenz | Go SF49ers!
Senior-Consultant       | business: Michael.Meskes@mummert.de | Go Rhein Fire!