Re: KDE gone, Lyx next ?

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, John Lapeyre wrote:

> 	Lyx is currently in contrib.
> 	Lyx is licensed under the GPL (version 2) .  It is dynamically
> linked against a non-free library (libforms) .
> 	According to the GPL and our interpretation of it in the KDE
> statement, this means we should not be distributing (binaries at least) of
> Lyx. For instance, these binaries use .h files from libforms.
> 	Unlike KDE, it may be all original code, so that a single change
> of license from the developers will do.
>
> 	Am I missing something ?

nope. sounds right to me (but i haven't looked at the licenses
concerned, just going from memory of libxforms being no-source and
non-free).

imo, we should grant Lyx the same courtesy we did KDE.  send them a
request to change their license, and give them some time (say a few weeks
rather than the months that KDE got) to change.  if they ignore the
request or choose not to change their license then we have to yank the
software.

craig

--
craig sanders