Re: LICENSES [was: Re: Have you seen this?]

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 08:56:30PM -0700, Ben Gertzfield wrote:
>     Martin> Will Debian remove LyX from their ftp server? According to
>     Martin> several Debian developers Xforms is not a DFSG compatible
>     Martin> library.
>
> This is a harder one. :) xforms is in the non-free distribution of
> Debian, which technically makes it not part of the operating
> system. I'm not sure how that interacts with the GPL.

Badly, as a matter of fact.  This issue is being resolved with the lyx
people and will probably result in GPL-but-you-can-also-link-xforms.

The problem is not specific to KDE, nor do we pretend it is.  However, so
far only KDE has generally ignored us when we have tried to ask them about
the license problems.  Many of us took a wait-and-let-them-deal-with-it
approach with all of these packages.  KDE has opted NOT to deal with it, at
least so far.  Other projects have fortunately been easier to work with on
this issue.