Re: Debian logo

On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 12:25:07PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > I would prefer a new logo, too. We shouldn't draw it.
> > We should run a gimp contest. They produced the Gnome logo, and there are
> > artists as well as designer. They'll come up with a good, inspiring logo,
> > I'm sure. We should vote the winner.
>
> good idea.
>
> i *really* like the GNU & Penguin one. (see the default index.html on a
> new apache install if you don't know what i mean.) something based on
> that would be great.

Well, I do not like it, and because I think this is important, I want to
give the most importnat reasons for me to dislike any GNU or penguin motive:

* Debian should develop it's own identity. We are a strong enough entity to
be considered a parallel, but seperate movement from GNU and Linux. We owe
much to both, but still, we are not simply derivates, we are more, and we
should reflect that in our logo. It is "Debian GNU/Linux", not only
"GNU/Linux". The next point elaborates:

* Debian does combine GNU and Linux sources, and embraces both. But this
is not what defines us. The logo should reflect Debian, not two core
software components we use for our purpose (to turn it into a joke, I want
to make the GNU carry the X logo, and the penguin to carry the apache logo,
and behind them Larry should raise his hands and praise them both ;)

* Although the Hurd and Linux share some code, they are differently. As I'm
working on the Debian GNU/Hurd port, I find the analogy of the picture you
have in mind and "Debian GNU/Linux" at least a bit weak. Note: The picture
was drawn before we started with Debian GNU/Hurd.

* Furthermore, we must be able to trademark the logo. A reference to an
existing logo would be more difficult to trademark.

I consider the first point the most important one. If I would propose any
theme for the gimp contest, I would make it a condition that no reference to
the GNU logo or Linux logo must be made. This also increases creativity and
inspiration, in my honest opinion.

Thank you,
Marcus