Re: Debian logo

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 12:25:07PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > >
> > > I would prefer a new logo, too. We shouldn't draw it.
> > > We should run a gimp contest. They produced the Gnome logo, and there are
> > > artists as well as designer. They'll come up with a good, inspiring logo,
> > > I'm sure. We should vote the winner.
> >
> > good idea.
> >
> > i *really* like the GNU & Penguin one. (see the default index.html on a
> > new apache install if you don't know what i mean.) something based on
> > that would be great.
>
> Well, I do not like it, and because I think this is important, I want to
> give the most importnat reasons for me to dislike any GNU or penguin motive:
>
> * Debian should develop it's own identity. We are a strong enough entity to
> be considered a parallel, but seperate movement from GNU and Linux. We owe
> much to both, but still, we are not simply derivates, we are more, and we
> should reflect that in our logo. It is "Debian GNU/Linux", not only
> "GNU/Linux". The next point elaborates:
>
> * Debian does combine GNU and Linux sources, and embraces both. But this
> is not what defines us. The logo should reflect Debian, not two core
> software components we use for our purpose (to turn it into a joke, I want
> to make the GNU carry the X logo, and the penguin to carry the apache logo,
> and behind them Larry should raise his hands and praise them both ;)
>
> * Although the Hurd and Linux share some code, they are differently. As I'm
> working on the Debian GNU/Hurd port, I find the analogy of the picture you
> have in mind and "Debian GNU/Linux" at least a bit weak. Note: The picture
> was drawn before we started with Debian GNU/Hurd.
>
> * Furthermore, we must be able to trademark the logo. A reference to an
> existing logo would be more difficult to trademark.
>
> I consider the first point the most important one. If I would propose any
> theme for the gimp contest, I would make it a condition that no reference to
> the GNU logo or Linux logo must be made. This also increases creativity and
> inspiration, in my honest opinion.

A bit of an AOL, but I agree. It is interesting that /. doesn't use the
red penguin when referring to us - it has anothere icon. I'm not convinced
by that one either, but Given that the debian project embraces more than
just GNU/Linux, our logo should as well.

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Selwyn College Computer Support