Re: LICENSES [was: Re: Have you seen this?]

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:33:15 +1000 (EST), Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> >the last sentence, from "However, as a special exception" is particularly
> >relevant here.
>
> Sooooo, if Qt were disttributed with the OS then it would fall under
> the special exception? :)

yes.  however the point is moot.

Qt is not, and can not, be distributed with debian.  it is non-free, it
fails the DFSG (Debian Free Software Guidelines) test.

if Qt ever becomes DFSG free, then it can be included in debian, but i do
not think that is likely to happen.  (TrollTech have every right to
license their software in the way that they choose, and they choose a
non-free license.  Neither I, nor anyone sensible, has any argument with
TT's license...it's their software, they can do what they like with it.)

craig

--
craig sanders