Re: perl version depends

Quoting Martin Schulze (joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE):
> Michael Stone wrote:
> > Except that this isn't what's happening; the new perl is ignoring
> > /usr/lib/perl5. (E.g., I couldn't install netstd the other day because
>
> That's the main cause of this thread...
>
> > it couldn't find DebianNet.pm--which is in /usr/lib/perl5--until I put a
> > symlink in /usr/lib/perl5/5.005. Can someone give a concise explanation
> > of the rationale behind that?
>
> I can't but s/o said that
>
> 	PERL5LIB=/usr/lib/perl5
>
> would help.  I haven't tried.  I have copied the missing modules into
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.005 since I had to put the machine back online *quick*.

What I'm trying to say is "why doesn't perl look in /usr/lib/perl5
anymore?" Was this just a gratuitous change, or was there a reason for
breaking things? I can understand the change if there are modules that
work in 5.004 but not 5.005, at least from the upstream perspective, but
don't we already have a mechanism for handling conflicts that makes this
redundant? What does /usr/lib/perl5/5.005 buy us?

Mike Stone