Re: perl version depends

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 01:59:40AM +0200, Martin Schulze écrivait:
> > Thus I believe it would need to use (>= 5.005-0)
>
>  (>= 5.005) should work too, no ?

Check out what dpkg thinks about it:

finlandia!joey(tty5):/tmp> dpkg --compare-versions 5.005 lt 5.005-1; echo $?
0

So, yes, it's also ok.

> > (I thought that debian-devel had reached a consensous that it's not
> > a good idea to change the perl version less than 14 days before
> > the code freeze.)
>
> I don't know what debian-devel reached, but in fact it seems to me that just
> a few people are interested by perl. :-)

Yes, but more people are interested in a broken perl subsystem.

> John Lapeyre has made a good summary of solutions available. In fact
> Perl5.005 is in unstable and some packages (like eperl) have already
> been updated and uploaded for using perl5.005.

Before this screwup I didn't realize that most but not all modules are
placed in /usr/lib/perl5/$version/$arch-linux/$dir while plain
/usr/lib/per5 would be sufficient, too.  We should have made it
policy that modules have to omit the versioned directory where it is
possible.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.