Re: Squid2, how to handle incompatible upgrade

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> I'm currently maintaining squid, and squid-2.0 has been released. We have
> been running the beta versions on our own machines for quite some time
> and it's much better/faster than the 1.2 versions.
>
> However the problem is dat squid-2.0 is totally incompatible with squid-1.2.
> The cache directory and file format has changed, and the config file
> format has changed .. in fact it's a new package.

> How do I handle this? Should I just make a new package "squid2" that
> conflicts with squid-1.2?

I would'n't like to introduce a new set of packages.  You should
however ensure that the old configuration file is saved.

Wrt. spool file: I believe that it is acceptable to blow the old
spool away if the new squid gains more speed.

> If I do that, I have the problem that the squid source package creates
> 4 binary packages. Should I do a new upload of the latest squid-1.2 with
> only the squid .deb, and upload the rest with squid2?

Depends on the purpose of the other packages...

Regards,

	Joey

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.