Re: How about using bzip2 as the standard *.deb compression format?

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 06:40:09AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> dpkg remains the primary bottleneck in the setup, and apt calls dpkg
> anyway, so the different is not really significant, and apt-get update
> is slow too.

The update phase seems to be slow because of translating the package files
to dselect's format on my system.  (pending apt's GUI, I'm using dselect)
If dselect could use apt's native format, that would be faster.

If package files were made by section, apt would not have to download main's
pacakages.gz everytime one little package in one little section was updated.

dpkg too would benefit from using a hashed database for lookups too, though
I think a text database that could be rehased would be nice too.  If others
think that's not necessary, I'll live without it.  After all, dpkg is quite
stable despite a couple buglets.  If the new database code were also stable
(read: simplistic enough that it would just work) I'd not worry about dpkg
losing its database or anything.

I'm curious as to what enhancements Ian has planned for dpkg whenever he
finds time to return to working on it.