Squid2, how to handle incompatible upgrade

I'm currently maintaining squid, and squid-2.0 has been released. We have
been running the beta versions on our own machines for quite some time
and it's much better/faster than the 1.2 versions.

However the problem is dat squid-2.0 is totally incompatible with squid-1.2.
The cache directory and file format has changed, and the config file
format has changed .. in fact it's a new package.

How do I handle this? Should I just make a new package "squid2" that
conflicts with squid-1.2?

If I do that, I have the problem that the squid source package creates
4 binary packages. Should I do a new upload of the latest squid-1.2 with
only the squid .deb, and upload the rest with squid2?

Hmm I've formulated the above as questions, but I plan to do this soon
(before the freeze) if nobody objects. Or has a better idea, ofcourse!

Mike.
--
  "Did I ever tell you about the illusion of free will?"
    -- Sheriff Lucas Buck, ultimate BOFH.