Re: Perl policy for managing modules ?

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

rhertz>I propose to make package install the modules in /usr/lib/perl5/debian
rhertz>and /usr/lib/perl5/debian/$arch. And the /usr/lib/perl5/$version would
rhertz>be a link to "debian", and /usr/lib/perl5/$arch/$version a link to
rhertz>"../debian/$arch". So the current perl will always find the modules
rhertz>installed. And we'll have no problem for the transition to perl5.006 ...
rhertz>
rhertz>How to manage this in the source package for a CPAN module ? Here's
rhertz>what I would have to do for my own package (I tested it) :
rhertz>
rhertz>- use this line for creating the Makefile :
rhertz>  perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=perl LIB=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/lib/perl5/debian
rhertz>- and use "make pure_install" for installing files

	Thats how I build my perl modules as well (and I guess others), so
it shouldn't be too much of a problem. (Acutally some of the more
complicated packages will need more changes.)
	I can't think of a better solution. Re: packages with only perl
source, many will probably not be affected by an upgrade, and it seems
silly to require that they be rebuilt.
	I posted a message on perl5-porters asking for advice.  We need to
set a policy quickly, as quite a bit of slink has just become unstable.
(Unfortunatley, I was using slink for daily science work. I don't have two
machines.)

	John

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>