Perl policy for managing modules ?

Hello,

I thought about the problem with directory used for installing perl
modules. Actually if we do nothing, we would have to recompile all
perl package for each perl5.00x release. That's because perl uses
now /usr/lib/perl5/$version (and perl5/$arch/$version) as path
to search for modules. And actually I count 80 packages installing
perl modules so you see why another solution has to be found.

I propose to make package install the modules in /usr/lib/perl5/debian
and /usr/lib/perl5/debian/$arch. And the /usr/lib/perl5/$version would
be a link to "debian", and /usr/lib/perl5/$arch/$version a link to
"../debian/$arch". So the current perl will always find the modules
installed. And we'll have no problem for the transition to perl5.006 ...

How to manage this in the source package for a CPAN module ? Here's
what I would have to do for my own package (I tested it) :

- use this line for creating the Makefile :
  perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=perl LIB=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/lib/perl5/debian
- and use "make pure_install" for installing files

What do you think about it ? Ok, it's a bit late for updating about 80
packages but I'm sorry, I didn't know this new "perl feature".

In summary, what we would have to do is :
- modify all package with perl modules for installing them
  into /usr/lib/perl5/debian
- make them depend on perl >=5.005 (since the directory tree has changed)

Cheers,
--
Hertzog Raphaël ¤ 0C4CABF1 ¤ http://www.mygale.org/~hra/