Re: Perl policy for managing modules ?
Le Wed, Oct 07, 1998 at 04:16:09PM -0700, John Lapeyre écrivait:
> Thats how I build my perl modules as well (and I guess others), so
> it shouldn't be too much of a problem. (Acutally some of the more
> complicated packages will need more changes.)
Yes I've looked over source for packages that need to work on my own
machine and it was really not hard for upgrading. I had some problems
for installing file where I wanted but in fact this should work
on most cases :
- perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=perl LIB=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/lib/perl5/debian
- but for installing the PREFIX variable is also needed :
make pure_install PREFIX=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr
=> adapt it for your own package
Darren, if you agree, can you modify the perl package in order to
install modules in /usr/lib/perl5/debian and make these symlinks ?
- /usr/lib/perl5/$arch/$version => /usr/lib/perl5/debian/$arch
- /usr/lib/perl5/$version => /usr/lib/perl5/debian
> I can't think of a better solution. Re: packages with only perl
> source, many will probably not be affected by an upgrade, and it seems
> silly to require that they be rebuilt.
> I posted a message on perl5-porters asking for advice. We need to
> set a policy quickly, as quite a bit of slink has just become unstable.
> (Unfortunatley, I was using slink for daily science work. I don't have two
Yes, and I wondered why I was the only one who worried about that. :) And
it's difficult to move backward since some packages has already been upgraded
- all packages installing perl modules are broken, they need to be updated
using the directory proposed before. (/usr/lib/perl5/debian)
There will be NO perl5.005 package using /usr/lib/perl5 for searching
- the perl package need to be updated in order to make it work
- In fact I don't know if I really should list packages installing
modules right now and fill bug report because there are too many (80),
I'll wait a few days I think. Richard Braakman asked me for updating
lintian so maybe he will be able to fill the bugreports automatically
in a few days.
Hertzog Raphaël ¤ 0C4CABF1 ¤ http://www.mygale.org/~hra/