Re: APT 0.1.6 is released!

Mark W. Eichin wrote:
> Yeah, I got bit by that too, and it took me a while to find that...
> maybe we need some sort of "transitional-recommends" field?  Something
> that is ignored if you are installing the package (to avoid causing even
> more pain to dselect users, or something), but noticed on an upgrade?
> (obviously it need more subtlety than that, but this might be a more
> useful distinction than we've had before for splitting packages...)

How about this?

A_1.0-0.1 is going to split into B and C.  So you create a dummy A_1.0-0.2
package which depends on B and C and upload it along with B and C.  Anyone
who upgrades and has A will get it upgraded to A_1.0-0.2, which will pull in
B and C.  No one else ever needs to know that A ever existed.  After a
release or two you remove A from the distribution.