Re: APT 0.1.6 is released!

eichin@thok.org (Mark W. Eichin) wrote:
> Yeah, I got bit by that too, and it took me a while to find that...
> maybe we need some sort of "transitional-recommends" field?  Something
> that is ignored if you are installing the package (to avoid causing
> even more pain to dselect users, or something), but noticed on an
> upgrade? (obviously it need more subtlety than that, but this might be
> a more useful distinction than we've had before for splitting
> packages...)

Package splitting has always been a problem with Debian.  I would suggest a different solution, namely an "upgrades" field included in the new packages.  The idea is that if package A is split into packages B and C, both B and C should include a field

  upgrades: A

in their control file.  That way the upgrade procedure would now that in order to upgrade A, both B and C must be installed.  I think this idea works for package splitting as well as for package renaming, or combinations of them both.

Comments?

M. S.

Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co