Re: [TECH-CONTACTS] Debian

On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 07:37:43PM -0700, Jim Pick wrote:

> Andrew Howell <andrew@avon.it.net.au> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 11:49:26PM +0800, Stephen Darragh wrote:
> > > Is there any way to get Debian to rebuild or repair a corrupted
> > > package information database (e.g. on beldin)?
> >
> > Not that I know of unfortunately. I'll ask on debian-devel as this is
> > something I've wanted a few times as well.
> >
> > Any ideas Debian guys? :)
>
> Because the package database is just a bunch of text files, the
> package database is pretty easy to fix.  You can edit/delete files
> that are obviously corrupt (ie. /var/lib/dpkg/status), and use "dpkg
> -i" (possibly with --force- options) to reinstall any packages that
> are messed up.

it would be nice to have a automatic way of doing this, editing
/var/lib/dpkg/status by hand to add a line , a missing Packahge: package_name,
or other like this is not my idea of fun.

> Of course, it's probably a good idea to make a backup before messing
> around with such things.  :-)

another nice feature would be to automatically create the /var/lib/dpkg
hierarchy the first time you use dpkg, I remember having to fix it by hand when
creating a new debian root partition with :

dpkg --root=/newroot -i base/*.deb

but then it was some time ago, and i was just
learning dpkg then.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER