Re: Perl 5.005.02

Le Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 06:02:18PM -0700, John Lapeyre écrivait:
> 	I downloaded the upstream source. It looks like the omission of
> /usr/lib/perl5 in @INC  was intentional.

You're right. But this does mean that all packages installing *.pm
files need to be updated. It does also mean that we will have the same
problem with perl-5.006 ... we surely a need a better way to handle
this.

The INSTALL file suggest to keep /usr/bin/perl5.00404 so that
programs using old modules will still work. But in fact coexistence
for Debian is not as easy as that. The INSTALL file suppose that modules
are installed manually (eg. with perl -MCPAN -e shell) and that
when installing new modules, the older ones will stay in the old
directory. This is not the case for Debian because when upgrading
a package the old files are removed.

Any idea how to handle this properly ? Maybe we need a sort of perl
policy : package will have to install file under /usr/lib/perl5/debian
which would be a symlink to the current perl version ? But
this does not solve all problems... Better idea ?

Cheers,
--
Hertzog Raphaël ¤ 0C4CABF1 ¤ http://www.mygale.org/~hra/