Re: [TECH-CONTACTS] Debian

Andrew Howell <andrew@avon.it.net.au> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 11:49:26PM +0800, Stephen Darragh wrote:
> > Is there any way to get Debian to rebuild or repair a corrupted
> > package information database (e.g. on beldin)?
>
> Not that I know of unfortunately. I'll ask on debian-devel as this is
> something I've wanted a few times as well.
>
> Any ideas Debian guys? :)

Because the package database is just a bunch of text files, the
package database is pretty easy to fix.  You can edit/delete files
that are obviously corrupt (ie. /var/lib/dpkg/status), and use "dpkg
-i" (possibly with --force- options) to reinstall any packages that
are messed up.

Of course, it's probably a good idea to make a backup before messing
around with such things.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim