Re: "super" pkgs (was Re: Back to RedHat)

On Tue, Sep 29, 1998 at 09:11:20AM +0200, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> Just another comment: how can we avoid super-packages pollution? I mean
> who will build the official super-packages? How can we avoid to have 10+
> "c-devel" super-packages with different contents?

I suggest the maitainer of the core packages that comprise a super
package maintain the super package as well.  For example, the libc
maintainer could maintain a c-developement super package and the X
maintainer could maintain x-workstation and x-development super
packages.

> How will apt recognize
> super-packages when the user wants to show only them? What about a different
> section (e.g., "super")?

I think a section makes the most sense.  BTW, does anyone have a
better name than super packages?

On Tue, Sep 29, 1998 at 10:09:45AM +0200, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> Yes. The problem of super-packages is that if you install, say, 20
> normal packages by a single "click", you expect to remove them the
> same way

This is why the idea of (semi-)automatically removing indirectly
selected packages goes hand-in-hand with the super packages idea.  I
do consider them separate ideas though since they are useful by
themselves.

> ... Maybe we need to update dpkg/apt anyway...

I haven't looked at the dpkg code in a while, but I think the package
removal idea can be added fairly easily (well, as easily as anything
can be done with dpkg :).  The basic idea is to add a new package
status flag called "indirect" that would be set when packages are
selected indirectly and cleared when selected directly.  The only
tricky part would be to scan for installed packages and flag for
removal the indirect ones that are no longer needed.

If none of the dpkg/apt developers step forward, this is something I
will look into when I get a chance.  It will be a while though.

On Tue, Sep 29, 1998 at 12:29:48AM -0400, Alexander Stavitsky wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 1998 at 09:07:15PM -0500, David Engel wrote:
> > ... right, why invent something completely new when the existing
> > packaging system is already up to the task.
>
> Is it? This super package idea works great when you want to install
> a bunch of packages. Now suppose I want to delete all of them.
> Do I have to do it manually? Am I misiing something here?

Yes/Maybe.  Without the semi-automatic package removal idea, super
packages would not be as useful as they could be.  However, they would
still serve the purpose of being a "living preselection" that could
change over time (see my libstdc-dev example earlier in this thread).

David
--
David Engel
dlengel@home.com