Re: Name clashes [Was: Intent to package: molecular biology programs

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Avery Pennarun wrote:

apenwa>Can I object to the term "gensoft"?  It sounds much more like "general
apenwa>software" than "genetic software".

	I agree.  The distribution is full of software anyway.  The
word 'soft' does not belong there.

apenwa>
apenwa>Since anything in /usr/lib is likely to be software-related anyway, why not
apenwa>call it /usr/lib/genetic?
apenwa>
apenwa>Also, if you do make a bunch of wrapper scripts or symlinks to the original
apenwa>binaries, I think /usr/bin/genetic would be better for the symlink farm than
apenwa>/usr/lib/genetic -- they're binaries, after all.

	But already, there are many binaries that reside in /usr/lib .  A
lot of packages have support binaries that need to be in some directory
owned by the package.

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>